BURRUM COAL DISCOVERY FESTIVAL DETAILS HERE-LODGE INTEREST
Burrum Coal Discovery Festival
Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st July.
April 2013 will be the 150th anniversary of the discovery of coal in Howard/Torbanlea by the Miller Brothers.
We will be celebrating this anniversary on 20 & 21 July 2013 with:
- Street Parade
- Historical Displays and Demonstrations of oldtime skills
- Historical Tours around town in horse & buggy
- Businesses & volunteers dressed in period clothing
- Descendants of the early families family reunions
- Burying of Time Capsule
- Combined Church Service
- A glimpse of Coal Mining, then, now and in the future
- Old time and modern sports events
- Museum -Billy Tea & Damper
- Vintage car, truck , tractor & machinery displays
- Old Time Dinner dances.
- Swap Meet
We would love all clubs, associations, businesses, groups, churches and schools to get involved by decorating a float for the street parade and dressing in period costume.
Schools could teach the children the history of coal mining and the history of our area, have colouring competitions, projects etc. This would enable them to appreciate the significance of this historical event.
We encourage clubs and groups to host their own
(in theme) events and raise valuable funds for their group.
Please advise us by Wednesday 27th March 2013 if you will be entering a float in the parade or are interested in any of the above activities. We need to know specifically what you will be doing as we may need to acquire the appropriate permit e.g. street parade numbers etc or if you have another attraction you would like to put on we would like to hear about it.
You can post your expression of interest to PO Box 23, Howard Qld 4659 or email to [email protected] for the attention of Anne Worsley.
Received & published by Henry Sapiecha